4.20.2005

what am i doing with my life? part II

so i'm thinking about a job change.

its a big thing.

its tough because i appreciate and am grateful to my current employer for the opportunity that they gave. its my first REAL job.

at the same time, things have grown very stagnant. what i was told about my position in the company has not materialized. i am told that it will in 2-3 weeks now. but thats what its always been. in 2-3 weeks, i'll be doing sales, tele-sales, print management. . . .blah blah blah.

its frustrating.

so a guy at my church has approached me about working for them. guaranteed salary immediately. benefits. good hours. they just need someone who is able to follow a process. i can do that! i struggle with making a process. . . . but i can sure as hell follow one.

its pretty good money too. i'm going to check out the business friday afternoon. please pray. this is a tough decision.

i don't like the business world because its all about "do whats best for me" mentality. thats what a co-worker told me the other day at lunch. he said, "i have to whats best for me. because i'm the only one looking out for me." thats what people have told me i need to do. and something within me just wants to reject that way of thinking.

i'm going to lexington, ky tomorrow night. see an old friend. i'm looking forward to it. he was my big brother growing up in chicago. right now, i need a big brother.

i want to be loyal to my current employer. but at the same lunch, i was told that loyalty often benefits the entity that you are loyal to more than it benefits you. i don't like that. this is just confusing.

i'm thinking of moving to LA in the fall. just to get out of here. it would be great. maybe even start taking a few classes at Fuller. get a head start. my love is travelling to ecuador for 10 months. i gotta do something while she's gone.

anyways, we'll talk again soon. drop me a note to let me know that ya'll are alive. especially those who said they would comment . . . . ya'll are punks.

ha!

be good to each other. look at Christ. peace

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc, I can relate. MY life is about to take some major turns. 6 weeks from tomorrow I get hitched which rocks and scares me out of my mind. Independent CJ is going to take a turn sharing all of life with an AMAZING man. I'm leaving the "safe" world of Christian higher education to trek out into the diversity university of state schools. Kind of unsettling. Can't pray with the resident who can't make sense out of life...Can't blast Third Day and have my co-workers sing along. I know there are believers out there--but what role do I play in those unchartered waters. Jason and I bought a house. For the first time in 8 years I'll have to pay rent or a mortage really. That's a strange reality, people actually pay to live where they do?!
I guess in the midst of all these questions and uncertainties I find great comfort in the fact that Yahweh Yireh "The Lord our Provider" has not forgotten to show grace each day. That His mercies are new. Recently, I learned that the verse in Psalms that talks about His word being a lamp unto our feet is actually about the desert travellers who tied a candle to their ankle when journeying through the night--these travellers only had enough light for the next step and that's what we have when following God.
So, friends, I press on toward the goal to which God has called me heavenward in Christ. I'm running the race, beating my body, not for an earthly gain but for a heavenly celebration.
Marc, thanks for letting me get this out.
Be blessed...
CJ

for those that know me I'm taking J as my middle initial so I'll always be CJ Clayton :)

11:32 AM  
Blogger marcelliott said...

cj -
thank you for your words. the lamp unto my feet thing speaks volumes. and as you step out into these uncharted waters, be blessed as you begin to live missionally and outside of any bubble. there was a really cool discussion about that on my first post.
see you at graduation.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enneagramfree enneagram test