9.14.2005

new shoes

i love shoes. especially new shoes and shopping for them.

i could spend all day in dsw, finish line, footlocker . . .wherever and not buy a pair of shoes and still feel like i had a great day. they are my greatest impulse buy weakness. for example, i just found a pair of nike flightposites on ebay for $80. now, these are the most comfortable basketball shoes around. they stopped making them a few years ago. and now i can get them in carolina blue and white? for only eighty bucks? why haven't i bought them yet?

because of a vietnam vet.

on the corner of of the eastbound exit of I-465 onto Keystone Ave. stands a man with a semi-toothless grin, a dirty baseball hat and a sign that reads "homeless vietnam vet - anything helps - God bless."

and i want a pair of flightposites.

i knew he would try and make eye contact with me, so i just hoped that the light would change to green, so i could drive by him and not have to look him in the eye. as i drove north on keystone, my heart sank as i remembered, "as you have done for the least of these, you have to Me." there was no guilt. just the sinking feeling that this guy has given up his pride asking for help, and i drive by in my Jetta GLX VR6.

quick left turn on to 96th street to get a whopper value meal and take in back to him. not because i feel guilty, but because the man has to be hungry, and i'll be damned if no one is going to do anything about it. we all have to eat.

so i drove back down to the exit, pulled my car to the side of the road, put my hazards on and took him over some dinner. he took the bag with a smile, said "God bless," and i hurried back to my car afraid someone might notice me . . . what a bitch move on my part. i was scared that someone might see me and then there goes my reputation. oh wait, why should that matter.

how many churches are in this area, and we have a homeless man asking for food?

are we not giving them food because they don't come to a church asking?

i almost cried the other day thinking about it. these are the men and women who need the love of Christ in such a real way that i can't put it into words.

in 15-20 years are there going to be gulf war vets and irag vets with the same issues?

what then?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great post!!I love to buy shoes often..my comfortable shoes are Timberland shoes..i always purchase them from
online store
.

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enneagramfree enneagram test